Sunday, October 29, 2006

Pulp Fiction


My Dad used to read a lot of pulp fiction from Westerns by the likes Louis L'Amour to thrillers from Hammond Innes and Alistair MacLean and they were always kept around the house.

Periodically my Dad would trade some in and get newer ones from a second-hand book seller in Birkenhead market. As a kid they made an easy way to wile away a few hours on a wet Sunday afternoon.

I picked up a copy of Louis Louis L'Amour's Silver Canyon by chance.

It was easy to read and although the plot and characterisation did nothing for me, you could see from his writing how the discipline of cranking out book after book on a typewriter had given him a lean writing style similar to Hemmingway.

It makes you wonder how many books we have to suffer from Dan Brown before he gets to a similar standard, or how many blog posts I have crank out?