Monday, August 02, 2004

No Apple Product Launches Until September at Earliest (updated)

According to Dow Jones, Steve Jobs has taken August off to recover from cancer surgery:

Apple CEO Jobs Has Surgery To Remove Cancerous Tumor

Sunday August 1, 11:45 PM EDT

NEW YORK -- Steve Jobs, chief executive of personal computer maker Apple Computer Inc. (AAPL) and animation studio Pixar Animation Studio (PIXR), underwent surgery to remove a cancerous tumor in his pancreas over the weekend, Monday's Wall Street Journal reported.

The surgery was successful and Mr. Jobs will return to work in September, an Apple spokeswoman said.

Mr. Jobs, 49 years old, disclosed the news about his surgery in a memo that he sent to staffers at Apple, Cupertino, Calif., on Sunday. In the memo, Mr. Jobs told Apple employees that he had a rare form of pancreatic cancer, called islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, which can be cured by surgery if removed in time. Mr. Jobs's tumor was diagnosed in time, he said, and he won't require any chemotherapy or radiation treatment.

Mr. Jobs, who co-founded Apple in the 1970s, said in the memo that he will take August off, returning to work in September. During his absence, Tim Cook, who heads up operations, sales and Macintosh hardware at Apple, will run the computer maker's day-to-day operations.

Wall Street Journal Staff Reporter Pui-Wing Tam contributed to this report.

Dow Jones Newswires

According to ThinkSecret here is Steve's memo that he sent out the Apple workforce

Team,I have some personal news that I need to share with you, and I wanted you to hear it directly from me.This weekend I underwent a successful surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from my pancreas.
I had a very rare form of pancreatic cancer called an islet cell neuroendocrine tumor, which represents about 1 percent of the total cases of pancreatic cancer diagnosed each year, and can be cured by surgical removal if diagnosed in time (mine was).
I will not require any chemotherapy or radiation treatments.The far more common form of pancreatic cancer is called adenocarcinoma, which is currently not curable and usually carries a life expectancy of around one year after diagnosis.
I mention this because when one hears "pancreatic cancer" (or Googles it), one immediately encounters this far more common and deadly form, which, thank god, is not what I had.I will be recuperating during the month of August, and expect to return to work in September.
While I'm out, I've asked Tim Cook to be responsible for Apple's day to day operations, so we shouldn't miss a beat. I'm sure I'll be calling some of you way too much in August, and I look forward to seeing you in September.
Steve
PS: I'm sending this from my hospital bed using my 17-inch PowerBook and an Airport Express.

GET WELL SOON STEVE!