Thursday, July 15, 2004

Renaissance Chambara in we like Microsoft Product Scandal

Feted not slated

Actually we like three:

- Word 5.1 for the Mac in the early 1990s. A word processor that had a reasonable real world speed and all the features that you still use now. Hell, I still use the Word 5.1 layout in my version of Office X. Stripe out the fat, speed bump it and reinvent Word Mr Balmer - less is more. Your competitors are already doing it, have a look at Nisus Writer Express

- Excel for the mac. Some truths Microsoft made the best spreadsheet, now I realise that thats as contraversal as saying that Poll Tax was a good thing, but I've used alternatives like Lotus 1-2-3, ClarisWorks, AppleWorks, QuattroPro and they sucked. They got kicked because Excel is better - there I've said it

- Number three is MSN's Slate magazine. I had avoided Slate in favour of Salon, partly because I thought that it would have some of the attributes of other Microsoft products:
- bloated
- useless
- lacking in quality
- full of profane language
- low on anything meaningful (like the Microsoft Executive emails)

Slate
is actually a damn good read with varied content and a quality of writing that is close to that of the New Yorker, but for a younger audience. Check it out, seriously.