Monday, July 26, 2004

Another Close Encounter

I am too young to remember Close Encounters when it first came out at the cinema. I remember watching it in the mid 1980's round at a friends house whilst playing hookie from school. I quite liked it but my peers preferred the American Ninja series, The Octagon, The Hitcher and Governor Schwarzenegger's early action movies.

I borrowed it from Blockbuster, using their 3 for 5GBP for a week offer that applies to slightly older DVDs.

I was blown away. This film was made in 1977, and yet it is so visually rich, it makes CGI films look sterile in comparison, its hard to believe this was done with smoke effects neon lit rigs and painted backgrounds. The concept, the acting from the assorted Indians, hill-billies and cops, Richard Dreyfus, to the little Cary Guffy, the little boy that Dreyfuss almost runs over in his power company pick-up.