Its that time again, over at the Rosemont Loving Johnny has posted his personal top-ten films of 2k5 in no particular order.
- Assault on Precinct 13 - a great action film and Drea DeMatteo in a short skirt, it doesn't get much better
- Night Watch - Russian, mad and great
- The Good, The Bad and The Ugly - ok, so not a cinema release, but MGM's revamping of the Sergio Leone classic put back in deleted footage featuring redubbed dialogue by Eli Wallach added more depth to the film
- Good Night and Good Luck - my favourite film from the London Film Festival, directed by George Clooney
- Team America: World Police - shot in a supermarionation-type style but with all the rude bits that The Thunderbirds missed out and political satire as well
- Crash - Great narrative kind of like Magnolia that told interconnecting stories in an entertaining way
- Kung Fu Hustle - this film took elements of Western and Eastern cinema to laugh at itself, like a mash-up of Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain meets the Matrix
- The Constant Gardener - John LeCarre's book was given a sympathetic film treatment and looks spectacular, I did come out feeling cheated: I was supposed to be shocked and surprised by the content but I wasn't
- Kingdom of Heaven - Ridley Scott made Orlando Bloom seem like a credible action figure. Much of the film was supposed to be commentary on the West's mistreatment of the house of Islam. In reality it was an entertaining adaption of Beau Geste in chain mail.
- Batman Begins - Christian Bale as the dark knight of Gotham and Liam Neeson as a bad guy were very impressive but Cillian Murphy as the scarecrow was the real showstopper