Posts on quality, life, culture, the media, news & tech with a twist & a slice of Limey. I moved my blog to http://renaissancehambara.jp in December 2006, go there for the latest content.
Some classy joints from Flying and some value vinyl from HMV
XL Recordings have repressed some records from the golden age of the label before they lost the plot with Badly Drawn Boy
- Numatic - hard times (XL) ragga breakbeat classic, much classier than the 'outta space' Prodigy stuff
- Dance Conspiracy - dub war(XL) haunting sax line and five mixes that are so all over the place style wise it is handy to keep in the box "nobody move, nobody move, nobody move, nobody get hurt"
Back so some of the tosh that XL sell now, Orb wannabes Lemon Jelly have a sweet 10 inch ep with Stay with me being very playable, unfortunately the cutting engineer bunched the grooves way too close leaving a great big blank bit in the middle. It means that record doesn't sound as good as it could and is more likely to skip or jump when being queued up on the turntable.
- Afro Medusa - Pasilada (Jellybean Soul) house grooves, spanish vocal quality cut.
- De la Soul - Magic Number remix ep (Tommy Boy) reissue worth having for the Chad Jackson remix of Eye Know that can be coaxed into a house set
- Patrice Rushden - Send me forget-me nots (Electra) uber sweet pressing just crying to be bought, familar to many because it was sampled in George Michael's Fast Love
Flying had a cracking 12" by JPod on Brique Rouge Get Back, block party rap over an acid house joint
Also on the loose are a couple of cheeky re-edits labeled SJNL 3 & 4