:::renaissance chambara:::

Posts on quality, life, culture, the media, news & tech with a twist & a slice of Limey. I moved my blog to http://renaissancehambara.jp in December 2006, go there for the latest content.

Monday, March 01, 2004

 

Want to leave a comment? Feel free, but please take account of the guidelines


Comments like a good after dinner debate, side bets on a bare knuckle boxing match or an 'artistic' floor show at a gentlemans evening can bring a lot to the party or even become the main event.

I welcome comments; even for opinions that I don't necessarily agree with. I try to take a light touch on moderation. If you like I am a blog comment libertarian.


Relevant links in the comments are encouraged - if you’re leaving a comment on my blogs and want to point to a link on your own or someone else’s site that is relevant to the topic then please feel free to do so. It brings in a wider range of reference and allows other readers and me to discover sites and links that we may have otherwise not found; its good for the soul and the intellect. One last thing on links, keep 'em relevant.

I have measures in place which automatically catch the majority of spam posts.
There is always some person who thinks that they can make money for nothing: not on my watch buddy - get down and graft with the rest of us. I don’t put up with it unless its unintentionally funny and I can hold it up for ridicule and get some cheap laughs at your expense.

Flame wars: when I was a kid and my Mum got upset, she would go on and on about what she was upset about and it sounded like a 40 - 50 minute tape loop, that's kind of like what flame wars are like. When they get start to get cyclical in nature, I'll step in and REGULATE as Warren G and Nate Dogg would say.

Haters: whilst we live in a democracy with freedom of expression, hateful remarks will go the way of spam.

Ok, so I have bounced your post and you feel hard done by. The reason why this is called guidelines is for a good reason. A blog is a dynamic document, it would be wrong to constrain comments with a rigid process. The guidelines are not rigid, but designed to capture the spirit and values by which comments are welcomed or moderated on my blog. As Charles Davies an ex-colleague of mine at Yahoo! used to say: guidelines are not tramlines.

If you feel hard done by, life's not fair and yes I am a small but significant part of the global conspiracy against you.

Finally some advice, think long-term. Your comments are a permanent record of who you are and what your values are. They have the ability to make or break your reputation.

You know one of the first things I do when I am scheduled to interview someone for a job? Put their names into Google and follow any interesting trails that come up.

If you want to make a fool of yourself, I might just let you. The whole thing about this Interweb thing is that everything is interconnected, a comment isn't just a comment but a small piece of a mosiac that is your online identity.

Labels: , ,


Create Social Bookmark Links


Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home

Archives

03/2004   04/2004   05/2004   06/2004   07/2004   08/2004   09/2004   10/2004   11/2004   12/2004   01/2005   02/2005   03/2005   04/2005   05/2005   06/2005   07/2005   08/2005   09/2005   10/2005   11/2005   12/2005   01/2006   02/2006   03/2006   04/2006   05/2006   06/2006   07/2006   08/2006   09/2006   10/2006   11/2006   12/2006  


Welcome, thanks for visiting and a bit about this blog (:::renaissance chambara::: all in lower case just like UNIX)
Got something to bitch about? Trying to legal the author or want to send scary fan mail? Click here for more details
Want to leave a comment? Feel free, but please take account of the guidelines
The blogroll (there's some missing that Bloglines can't read, if you're not in sort your feeds out)
Subscribe via RSS to :::: renaissance chambara ::::
The grooves that drive :::: renaissance chambara :::: (see what's on our iTunes)
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 2.5 License.

Blogger rox nuffsaid.